1 tbsp cornflower
2 tbsp preserved melon shreds (optional)
1 tbsp dry sherry (Chinese wine or dry sherry)
1/4 tsp five spice powder
2 tbsp White Vinegar
2 tbsp white sugar
1 cups plain flour
3 tbsp tomato sauce
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tbsp peanut oil
oil (for deep frying)
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 cups Sliced Water Chestnuts (sliced)
1/4 tsp pepper
1 clove garlic (crushed)
1 egg white
1 red capsicum (diced)
1 lbs pork chops (pork fillet or pork chops)
1 tbsp Chinese wine (Chinese wine or dry sherry (optional))
1 tbsp water
1/4 tsp fresh ginger (finely grated)
3 tbsp fresh green peas (frozen or fresh green peas)
3/4 cups warm water
3/4 cups water
1. If using pork chops, remove rind. Cut pork into 12 mm (1/2 inch) slices, then into 2.5 cm (1 inch) squares.
2. Mix with soy sauce, wine, salt, pepper and five spice powder.
3. Refrigerate while preparing batter.
4. Mix flour and warm water to a smooth batter with a wooden spoon, stir in oil, allow to stand for 30 minutes.
5. Beat egg white until stiff and fold in.
6. Heat oil.
7. Dip pieces of pork in batter and deep fry a few at a time over medium heat until pork is cooked and batter golden.
8. Drain on absorbent paper and set aside. Make sauce.
9. Shortly before serving, reheat oil and once more fry pork, a few pieces at a time, on high heat for just a few seconds. This second frying makes the batter very crisp.
10. Drain on absorbent paper.
11. When all the pork is fried arrange on a plate, pour hot sauce over and serve immediately.
SWEET SOUR SAUCE:
1. Combine soy sauce, whine, tomato sauce, vinegar, sugar and water in a bowl and stir until sugar dissolves.
2. Mix cornflower smoothly with about 1 tablespoon cold water.
3. Peel onion, cut into four lengthways, then cut each quarter across into two.
4. Separate layers of onion.
5. Heat oil, add garlic, ginger and all the vegetables and fry for 2 minutes.
6. Add combined sauce mixture, bring to a boil, then stir in cornflower and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
7. Remove from heat and stir in melon shreds.
This popular dish can now be made in the comfort of your kitchen. The crisp fried pork combined with the sweet and sour sauce will enhance your appetite.
Problems with a recipe?
If there is a problem with a recipe, please let us know.